Fort Bridger State Historic Site can be reached by taking Interstate 80, Exit 34 then going approximately 3 miles to the town of Ft.Bridger. The site is on the south side of the highway behind the bronze statue of Jim Bridger.
Established by Jim Bridger and Louis Vasquez in 1843 as an emigrant supply stop along the Oregon Trail. It was obtained by the Mormons in the early 1850s, and then became a military outpost in 1858. In 1933, the property was dedicated as a Wyoming Historical Landmark and Museum.
There are several restored historical buildings from the military time period, a reconstructed of the trading post operated by Jim Bridger, and an interpretive archaeological site containing the base of the cobble rock wall built by the Mormons during their occupation of the fort. All of these locations are signed in Braille. In addition, a museum containing artifacts from the various different historical time periods is housed in the 1888 stone barracks building. There are gift shops in both the museum and the reconstructed trading post. There is no camping available at Fort Bridger.
Fort Bridger SHS also has a friends group that assists the site staff with various programs, projects, and events. For more information or to inquire about membership, please contact:
Ft. Bridger Historical Association
PO Box 112
Fort Bridger, WY 82933
call Tisa at 307-782-3842
Fort Bridger SHS Hours of Operation
***Note: These hours will become effective starting October 1st, 2016.
May to September: Open 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM Daily
October to April: Open 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM Fri, Sat, Sun
May to September: Open 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM Daily
Open Year Round, Sunrise to Sunset