SPHST Home

Places

Activities

News & Events

Permits & Reservations

More

Home
 

Search Our Site

 

 

Marker of the Month

SW0001
 
 
The Bryan Information Sign can be found near Green River, Wyoming on road WY374. In September 1868 the Union Pacific Railroad established the town of Bryan, named for Lt. Francis Theodore Bryan, a surveyor. The town was located eleven miles west of Green River and north of this location. Passing beyond the settlement at Green River, the Union Pacific planned on Bryan serving as the 1868 terminus for the railroad. Within a few months, Bryan contained a twelve-stall roundhouse, warehouses, and machine shops as well as restaurants, a boot maker, gunsmith, bank, and concert hall. As an “end of the tracks” town, Bryan thrived – a wild “hell-on-wheels” frontier community. Bryan also served as the major jumping off point for travel north to the Sweetwater Mining District and the gold mines around South Pass City eighty miles to the northeast. Would-be miners and canvas-topped wagons piled high with goods of all types departed daily for South Pass. Bryan’s population reached an estimated 5,000 before December 1868. At the end of the year, the crucial water supply from nearby Black’s Fork River dried up. As a result, the roundhouse, other facilities, and much of the population moved back to Green River. By 1872, Bryan existed only as a ghost town.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Search Monuments & Markers Database

Click here to launch the database!

SPHST Home

Places

Activities

News & Events

Permits & Reservations

More