SPHST Home

Places

Activities

News & Events

Permits & Reservations

More

News !!

Buffalo Bill State Park
 

Search Our Site

 
 

Activities & Amenities

(Click images to learn more about the various Activities & Amenities)


  • About Our Site
  • Updates
  • Events

 

About Our Site - Buffalo Bill State Park

 

The history of Buffalo Bill Reservoir and “Cody Country” is rooted in the rich lore of the old West. Buffalo Bill State Park was named for Colonel William F. “Buffalo Bill” Cody, famous as a wild west showman, promoter and developer. He first came to the region in the 1870s as a guide for a survey expedition and spent the next 20 years guiding and sponsoring hunting parties in the area.

“Buffalo Bill” Cody was influential in bringing irrigation and agricultural development into the area and founded the town in 1896 that bears his name. Some of the land now occupied by Buffalo Bill State Park was originally owned by Colonel Cody and was acquired from him by the federal government to implement the reservoir project.

IMG5511

Work began on the dam in 1905. When completed in 1910, it was the highest dam in the world at 325 feet. Buffalo Bill State Park was established in 1957 and provided recreational areas and facilities along the original shoreline. In 1993, an eight-year project was completed that raised the crest of the dam 25 feet and increased the reservoir storage capacity. The enlarged reservoir inundated the former recreation areas and required removal of the old park facilities. Buffalo Bill State Park has been redeveloped as part of that project.

CANCELLED: Buffalo Bill State Park hosts Eagle presentation, Sept. 16

unnamed

Sept. 8, 2017

Contact: Dan Marty or Jared Brinkerhoff, 307-587-9227

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

The Eagle presentation scheduled for tomorrow night at Buffalo Bill State Park has been cancelled due to weather.

            A discussion on Bald and Golden Eagles is the next program at Buffalo Bill State Park September 16, at 7 p.m. at the Trout Creek Group Shelter.

            The presentation is by USFS Biologist Mary Oechsner and is a general talk about the life, habitat and habits of Bald and Golden Eagles in the area.

            For more information about the program, please contact Buffalo Bill State Park at 307-587-9227.

 

   
Wyoming State Parks, Historic Sites & Trails
A Division of Wyoming State Parks & Cultural Resources
2301 Central Avenue, 4th Floor, Cheyenne, WY 82002
307-777-6323www.wyoparks.org

 

 

 

 
exclamation

Site Status

 

Aircraft has begun scooping water from Buffalo Bill Reservoir as part of the firefighting efforts involved with the June Creek Fire in Park County.

All boat ramps will remain open, however boaters are urged to use caution.

The June Creek Fire started July 18 and has continued to grow in recent days.

exclamation

Hours

 

May 1 - September 30:

Everything Open - Water and Showers weather dependent in May and September. Office hours 7am-7pm, Park open 24 hours a day to visitors; these hours vary as well due to seasonal employee personnel availability.

October - April: 

Northfork Campground Closed; Sheep Mountain Day Use Area Closed; Rest of park open to camping, and day use, ALL water systems turned off for the winter season;

giweather joomla module